Know you’re in safe hands at Julie Ann’s
Did you know that the word ‘jeans’ comes from the cotton pants worn by “Genes,” the local term for Genoan sailors?
Whether it’s jeans you need altering, a dress you need shortening or a memory bear made from the clothes of a loved one, Julie Morris is on hand to give you all the help you need.
The seamstress and owner of Julie Ann’s clothing alteration and repairs shop in Cambridge Street has been offering a helping hand to customers for three years.
Offering the latest technology in embroidery, Julie Ann’s offers a labelling and gift making service to include memory bears, called Eddie Bears, made from the clothes of loved ones as well as cushions, and personalised canvases.
Julie, who does all her work in-house, said: “I can shorten trousers and dresses and taper the legs on trousers. From all the usual requests to the more extraordinary, I’ll give everything a go.
“The most unusual item I have repaired is a large fishing net and the straps on cricket pads.”
Julie Ann’s also offers a wedding alteration service, taking care of alterations to bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses. Customers visiting the store have the privacy of a changing room to use.
Speaking about the production of memory bears, Julie said: “Last year a lady came in to ask me to make a bear using the material from her late husband’s shirts so I made a delightful bear and it all started from there.
“They make a lovely keepsake and have become very popular. I love making them, they give so much back.”
So when you see that perfect dress or trousers that don’t quite fit, don’t be put off – think of Julie.
With alteration prices starting at £9 and turn-around times a week, let Julie Ann’s be the reason you buy that special something – you’ll be in safe hands.
Julie, who started sewing when she was seven-years-old, said: “I offer a professional and quality service and I am always here to welcome customers and quote for their needs.”
Julie Ann’s alteration and repair service covers:
- Dresses: (Including brides, bridesmaids, prom casual and formal dresses) – shortening, incorporating a train onto an already long dress, reshaping (taking in waist line etc)
- Suits: Shortening shirt sleeves and trouser lengths, sewing on buttons. (see ‘Coats and Jackets’ below)
- Curtains: Shortening width, and length of actual curtain and/or lining.
- Jackets, coats: Shortening sleeves and length of garment, sewing on buttons/ poppers.
Soft furnishing alterations:
- Cushion making
- Curtain alterations
- Sofa cover alterations
- Alterations for bed runners and bed skirts
- Pillow cases
- Table cloth
- Other soft furnishings
Made from scratch:
- Memory or wedding bears.
Five reasons to visit Julie Ann’s:
- Bought that special something that needs shortening or taking in?
- Looking for a personalised gift for a memorable occasion?
- Need repairs to sports equipment or household items?
- Don’t know what to do with your child’s baby grows? Have a memory bear made to treasure those special memories.
- Are you a bride-to-be? Julie will be happy to take care of those all important alterations.
Julie Ann’s is based in Cambridge Street and is open Tuesday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 3pm.