It’s all sewn up!
Did you know the world’s most expensive button cost £4,000 and they were used on a pair of jeans? An that the earliest known button was found in the Indus Valley about 5000 years ago?
As long there are button holes we will always need buttons, which is why Jean Wilcox decided to open up the Button Boutique.
Located on Silver Street, Jean has been running the shop for nearly four years, taking over from the previous owners in 2012.
The business has been up and running for 40 years, but despite the name, the team sell a whole lot more than buttons.
She said: “We stock all sorts of things including fabrics, wool and everything in between. We took over the shop because it seemed a shame to let the business disappear, as it is one of the only haberdasheries in the local area.”
Jean says the popularity of items that people buy depends on the time of year.
“We see that wool is more frequently bought in winter and as soon as the evenings start to get lighter we see a surge in fabric as people want to start making their own clothes.”
Buttoning up the BBC
The shop has fast become one of the most popular places in the town of Wellingborough to go to for dressmaking items.
Jean says they were even contacted by the BBC once.
She said: “The Great British Sewing Bee once contacted us as they wanted us to try and get the people of Wellingborough interested in applying for the show.”
A lot of Jean’s customers are keen costume makers and staff find a lot of parents like to make costumes for World Book Day.
Jean said: “We find that comic book characters are very popular and a lot of schools like to make costumes on the topics they are studying at school such as the Egyptians. We love to help people find exactly what it is they’re after and because we’re independent we can spend time with each and every customer.
“We’re here six days a week and happy to help, no matter whether the customer is a complete beginner of a professional seamstress.”
Five reasons to visit Button Boutique
- Are you starting out and need some expert advice in sewing? Jean and her team are there to help.
- Do you need something specific to add to your dressmaking utensils? Get down to the Button Boutique to see if they have it in stock.
- Do you like supporting local businesses? Jean has been in business for four years and is hoping to stay put for another four years.
- Are you after inspiration for a new creation? Take a look at the large variety of different fabrics they stock.
- Are you passionate about sewing, knitting and making clothes? Go see Jean, who will share your passion.
Button Boutique is located on Silver Street. They are open Monday 9am – 2pm. Tuesday to Friday 9am – 5pm and Saturday 9am – 430pm.